Dr. Courtney Kernek
Assistant Professor of Marketing
"...When the opportunity to teach and get my Ph.D. presented itself, I jumped at the chance and have never looked back."
I tell students what we've tried
In SOSU online MBA programs, not everything is in the textbook. SOSU marketing professor Dr. Courtney Kernek shares the story of her husband's transition from football player to successful entrepreneur.
- Ph.D. in Education Psychology with cognate area in Marketing — Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2007
- MBA with concentration in Marketing — Texas A&M University-Commerce, 1999
- BBA Marketing — Texas A&M University-Commerce, 1998
- During my time in television, I was responsible for the promotional launch of a new network, the CW, and won a national marketing award for the Best Launch in America!
- I oversee marketing operations of our family-owned businesses. In addition to our retail operations, we also have a construction company.
- I provide marketing consulting to several small businesses– primary topics– the one-page marketing plan and personal branding.
- I co-authored a book in 2015 and we are working on another.
Which classes do you teach online?
Social Media Marketing, Consumer Behavior
Why did you start teaching?
I began working in television as a new media director and internet reporter. Eventually, I became the promotions manager and still did internet reporting and live talent for the station. While getting my MBA, I worked as a graduate assistant and at that point I considered getting my doctorate. I had been in television a little over 3 years when the opportunity to teach and get my Ph.D. presented itself. I jumped at the chance and have never looked back. I continued consulting for the station until 2009. During that time, I was responsible for the promotions launch of a new network, the CW, and won a national marketing award for the Best Launch in America!
What's the best advice that you have ever received?
Be kind. It's also the advice I give my son... along with work hard!
What's the best advice that you could give your students?
Start building your personal brand early in your college career. The key is to start thinking about what you are best at (your value), the target you will serve, and how you will differentiate yourself uniquely from others. A strong personal brand can help students start career building before they even enter the job market.
Courtney R. Kernek, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of marketing at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. Dr. Kernek has been active in the area of marketing for over 14 years. Dr. Kernek has taught principles of marketing, relationship selling, channels of distribution, advertising and promotion, consumer behavior, logistics and supply chain management, social media marketing, marketing management, and consumer relationship management. She has published and been cited in a variety of academic and professional outlets. Her current research interests include online business education, branding, and entrepreneurial marketing. Dr. Kernek has been nationally recognized for her work in the profession of marketing. She is currently an active marketing consultant, and her family owns and operates three retail businesses.