Dr. Larry J. Prather
John Massey Endowed Chair & Professor of Finance
"Plan for your future. Don't be afraid to dream big and take chances. Taking big risks is part of the game."
- Ph.D. in Finance — Old Dominion University, 1995, Minor: International Business
- M.A. in Economics — Old Dominion University, 1994
- MBA — Old Dominion University, 1992
- B.S. in Business — Excelsior College, 1988
- Served in the U.S. Navy for 20 years
- Served as President of the Midwest Finance Association
- Served as VP International Relations and VP Membership for the Academy of Financial Services
- Serves as Associate Editor of Financial Services Review
- Published 48 Articles in peer reviewed academic finance journals
- Presented more than 80 papers at finance conferences
- Created the Student Problem Manual for the publisher of the world's leading graduate level investments text book (2 editions)
- Serves as a reviewer for numerous finance journals
- Was nominated for the Teaching Excellence award by his students in 7 of the last 8 years
Why did you start teaching?
I started teaching because I love finance and educating people about the topic.
What's the best advice that you have ever received?
A penny saved is a penny earned.
What's the best advice that you could give your students?
Plan for your future. Don't be afraid to dream big and take chances. Taking big risks is part of the game.