Robert Howard, MBA
Instructor in Management & Marketing and MBA Director
"Decision making is easy when you know what your values are."
Keeping an open mind
Online MBA classes aren't just listening to lectures. Collaboration among students and faculty can foster discussion about diverse viewpoints and changing perspectives, as MBA director Robert Howard explains.
- ADR Mediation Certification — South Central Early Settlement Mediation, 2013
- MBA — Southeastern Oklahoma State University, 2007
- Legal Assistant Certification — University of Oklahoma, 2006
- BBA — Southeastern Oklahoma State University, 2005
- 2014-2015 — Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award; Nominated for Excellence in Service Award; Nominated for Excellence in Research Award
- 2014 — Certificate of Recognition John R. McCune Volunteer Mediator of the Year
- 2013-2014 — Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award; Nominated for Excellence in Service Award
- 2012-2013 — Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award; Nominated for Excellence in Service Award
- 2012 — Layperson of the year awarded by the Kiwanis Club of Durant Oklahoma
- 2011-2012 — Received the Faculty Senate Recognition; Award for Excellence in Teaching; Nominated for Excellence in Service
- 2010-2011 — Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2005 — Semifinalist Donald W. Reynolds Governor's Cup Collegiate Business Plan Competition
- Managed retail grocery stores for 15 years
- Serve as a mediator for the Courts in Bryan County, Oklahoma
- Silver, Lawrence S., Robert E. Stevens, Kenneth E. Clow & Robert W. Howard (2011). "Business Law Professors' Perspectives of the Cost of College Textbooks." Mustang Journal of Law and Legal Studies, 2, 18-29
- Tiger, A., & Howard, R. (2011). Kiwanis pancake day — A service operation management case study. Emerald Emerging Case Studies. 4 (1), 1-5
- VonBergen, C.W., Mawer W.T., & Howard, R. (2008) Family responsibilities discriminations: The EEOC guidance. Employee Relations Law Journal. 34(1), 14-34
- Tiger, A., & Howard, R. (2007). Managing golf course revenue using pace of play modeling. Journal of Business & Entrepreneurship. 19(2), 79-87
- Paper presentations and Proceedings:
- 2014 Southwest Case Research Association — SWCRA, Dallas, Texas March 12-13 2014
- 2013 Southwest Case Research Association — SWCRA, Albuquerque, New Mexico March 13-14, 2013
- 2012 Southwest Case Research Association — SWCRA, New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2011 Southwest Case Research Association — SWCRA, Houston, Texas
Which classes do you teach online?
MNGT 5453 Contemporary Issues in Business
Why did you start teaching?
Career change when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis
What's the best advice that you have ever received?
Do the right thing!
What's the best advice that you could give your students?
Decision making is easy when you know what your values are.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Moral Intelligence 2.0 by Doug Lennick and Fred Kiel
What do you think is the biggest challenge that people in the profession face today?
Tell us something that your students might find interesting, something they may not know about you.
While operating a consulting business (Howard and Associates) we conducted a market survey for a client in a small town in Arkansas. We used a mail-out survey within a 50-mile radius. Using SPSS software to analyze data, we were able to determine areas of concern in the operation. The data presented areas that were not as important to the customer as the client assumed. Therefore, presenting an opportunity to apply resources in other areas that would be better utilized. It was also suggested the client conduct an in-store survey to determine the customers' expectations of the department.