History of Southeastern Oklahoma State University
Southeastern Oklahoma State University first opened its doors to students on June 14, 1909, as Southeastern State Normal School, to educate teachers for Oklahoma's public schools. The school's first sessions were held in temporary quarters until 1910 when the Normal School building, later called Morrison Hall, was constructed in a peach orchard. In 1921, the institution became a four-year college and was renamed Southeastern State Teachers College.
The purpose of the school expanded in 1939 to offer two newly authorized non-education degrees—Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science—and it became Southeastern State College. When the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education designated Southeastern as an area community college in 1968, educational programs in business, technology, aviation and conservation were added to the curriculum.
The school changed names once more to Southeastern Oklahoma State University in 1974 after becoming a member of the State System of Higher Education the year before.
Now, SOSU encompasses four academic schools: Arts and Sciences, Education and Behavioral Sciences, John Massey School of Business, and the school of Graduate Studies.
SOSU Campus Home Page
For more information regarding all policies, procedures, reports, handbooks and services provided by the institution, please visit the SOSU home page.